Eggs are loved because of their nutritional value. These days, people resort to all forms of eggs for their nutritional needs. Chicken eggs are the most in Ghana. However, over the past few years, eggs from quails, ducks and other animals have also become popular among egg lovers.
Though it is generally known that eggs are good nutritionally, here are some specific reasons why consumption of eggs must be encouraged.
1. Supports heart health: Eggs are high in betaine and choline, both of which are beneficial to heart health.Eating one egg per day may lower the risk of heart disease and stroke, while doctors caution that eggs must be consumed as part of a healthy lifestyle to be effective.
2. Eggs aid in weight management: Protein is more satisfying than fat or carbohydrate, therefore eggs are a good choice. Eggs are a good source of protein and they have a high satiety index, which measures how satisfying a dish is. An egg breakfast keeps you fuller for longer than a calorie-counted carb meal and may even help you lose weight later in the day.
3. They are good for eye health: Vitamin A is found in eggs and is necessary for eye health, insufficient of it can result to blindness in children. Lutein and zeaxanthin are two nutrients that can help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts, eating one egg yolk per day increases the levels of each of these nutrients in the blood.
4. Egg is healthy for the brain: An egg contains 125.5 mg of choline, choline is not only healthy for your heart, but it is also necessary for your brain. Choline aids with memory and mood regulation and it has been proven to aid cognitive functions such as visual and verbal memory, also in the formation of the membranes that surround your cells. Choline is also necessary for the baby’s brain development during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
5. Eggs are satisfying: The egg is rated very high on a scale known as the Satiety Index. Because eggs are satisfying and nutrient-dense, it’s a high-protein food that makes you feel full. Snacking can be avoided by eating a filling meal like eggs.
The egg is rated very high on the Satiety Index. Because eggs are satisfying and nutrient-dense, it’s a high-protein food that keeps you satisfied.
Eating a filling meal like eggs can help you avoid snacking.